Helping with Homework 101
It's that time of year again! Here are some tips on how you can help your child with homework:
- Have a designated spot to do homework. This could be at the kitchen table, a workstation, a desk in your child’s bedroom. It should be quiet and free of distractions.
- Set a timer. We do this in our house especially for reading. Set the timer for a given amount of minutes to complete each task. This time will vary on your child’s grade level.
- Give short breaks. Sometimes it is difficult for children (especially younger ones) to sit for sustained periods of time. Allow them movement breaks to help pace their energy.
- Practice routine. Have your child do homework at the same time each day. This can be difficult with after school sports and activities but in the long run will help!
- Empty your child’s backpack. This is a MUST!
- Review your child’s assignment notebook. I initial my daughter’s just to let the classroom teacher know I have seen it. If I have questions, I always jot them down in here because I know the teacher will see them.
Please let us know if you find these helpful!